I love your new hermit crabs. What does Zoey think about them? Has she gotten pinched by one yet? I can't believe you let them walk all over the floor in your house. Aren't you worried that someone will step on them? They look like fun and they are a small pet. I remember you having them back in our las vegas house.
That was very informative and cool! I was just reading the book "A House for Hermit Crab" by Eric Carle to the kids yesterday and it talked about the crabs outgrowing their shells and moving into new ones...when you buy the hermit crabs, do you buy larger shells for them to change into or did you already have some. I've seen them being sold in kiosks in the mall and glanced at them but never really considered buying one, I bet Alanna would enjoy one or two. I love the videos of them, they are pretty active and your habitat is so cool, is it a converted fish tank?
Boy, you guys are full of questions! Zoey loves them and asks to see them every morning. The cage is actually for a lizard or gecko and we got it from someone who posted on craigs list. They usually cost close to $100-we got it for $30 used. They are a great pet because you have to really mess up or not give them water for them to die or get sick, you dont have to walk them or even give them attention, like dogs or cats, their poop is nearly non-existant and their cage doesnt smell, like with gerbils, rabbits etc. I had lots of stuff already so it was pretty inexpensive. It is not common to have them change shells that often and so, it was really cool to have one do it so soon. They need bigger shells because they outgrow the old ones. You just leave a few lying around thier habitat and they will go over and roll it around, scratch inside, clean it out and then, they crawl foward out of one and back themselves into the other. It is so coll! I have only witnessed it once. They have a wet, curly little butt that they curl or uncul around the inside of the shell to hold on. Once or twice a year they also molt and leave thier old exoskeleton behind. It is important not to disturb them during those 2-3 days and when they're done, it actually looks just like a dead crab in the cage minus the shell and eyeballs but, it is really just a skeleton. Then, they look all soft and pink for a week or two. Crabs are really interesting and fun pets but, they sleep alot and that can be boring waiting for them to wake up. Love Jenn
3 comments:
I love your new hermit crabs. What does Zoey think about them? Has she gotten pinched by one yet? I can't believe you let them walk all over the floor in your house. Aren't you worried that someone will step on them? They look like fun and they are a small pet. I remember you having them back in our las vegas house.
That was very informative and cool! I was just reading the book "A House for Hermit Crab" by Eric Carle to the kids yesterday and it talked about the crabs outgrowing their shells and moving into new ones...when you buy the hermit crabs, do you buy larger shells for them to change into or did you already have some. I've seen them being sold in kiosks in the mall and glanced at them but never really considered buying one, I bet Alanna would enjoy one or two. I love the videos of them, they are pretty active and your habitat is so cool, is it a converted fish tank?
Boy, you guys are full of questions! Zoey loves them and asks to see them every morning. The cage is actually for a lizard or gecko and we got it from someone who posted on craigs list. They usually cost close to $100-we got it for $30 used. They are a great pet because you have to really mess up or not give them water for them to die or get sick, you dont have to walk them or even give them attention, like dogs or cats, their poop is nearly non-existant and their cage doesnt smell, like with gerbils, rabbits etc. I had lots of stuff already so it was pretty inexpensive. It is not common to have them change shells that often and so, it was really cool to have one do it so soon. They need bigger shells because they outgrow the old ones. You just leave a few lying around thier habitat and they will go over and roll it around, scratch inside, clean it out and then, they crawl foward out of one and back themselves into the other. It is so coll! I have only witnessed it once. They have a wet, curly little butt that they curl or uncul around the inside of the shell to hold on. Once or twice a year they also molt and leave thier old exoskeleton behind. It is important not to disturb them during those 2-3 days and when they're done, it actually looks just like a dead crab in the cage minus the shell and eyeballs but, it is really just a skeleton. Then, they look all soft and pink for a week or two. Crabs are really interesting and fun pets but, they sleep alot and that can be boring waiting for them to wake up. Love Jenn
Post a Comment