Monday, November 10, 2008

The Terrible Twos!

Zoey is such a typical 'terrible two' year old! Let me tell you all a little about her new antics. When she is mad at me, my new name is "Mommy booty butt". If she doesn't like something, she says "Its poop poo and pee pe". When she doesn't like what Bri and I are telling her when she is in trouble, she screams, "Shut your mouth hole!" as she is slaming the door shut on us. Her other retort is to call us both "buttheads". She also tells me that she "hates" things, that I am "stupid" and loves to say, "What the heck in the world?". Now, I know she is getting "what the heck is that/" from me but, all the rest I believe that she is learning from the other kids at babysitting and maybe from kids at the park because Brian and I never say those other words. In fact, we are even careful never to say the word "hate" in our home. It is so frustrating to work hard to do everything right at home and then, know your kids are going to pick up bad habits and sayings from other people. When she is mad in church and wants to run away or climb under the pew, she screams "You're bad Mommy!" and smacks my glasses off my face and then, proceeds to attack me with octopus arms and legs flying everywhere, struggling to get free. She also throws her crayons, toys and sippie cup over the two rows in front of us, which luckly, are empty because we sit right behind where the sacrament boys sit. When its time to get ready in the morning, she refuses to coroperate, hiding from me under the bed, undressing herself or messing her hair up and my nicely made bed by hiding under the covers. She still goes "poopy" in her pants on purpose and then, tells me I need to change her "right now!" She orders me around telling me what she wants and how she wants it and growls at me if I don't comply. She opens up the fridge herself and tries climbing up the shelves. From her highchair, she throws her food on the floor and if I dont clean up her tray up fast enough, she dumps her milk out right as I am reaching for it with an impy little grin on her face. She makes messes with toys and books all over the floor and then, refuses to help me clean it up. She throws toys over the railing of the stairs or rolls them down the staircase. She uses her chair to climb up onto counters and trys to brush her teeth and get herself bandaids for her 'boo boos', making big water and toothpaste messes and leaving bandaid wrappers all over the counter. When it is bath time, she plays 'tea party' and dumps cup fulls of water over the side of the tub and onto the floor before I can catch her or runs, wet and naked, through the house getting all the carpet wet. When it is time to get in the car, she tries running and hiding behind the air conditioning unit in the back yard where I freak out looking for her and have even run all the way to the park up the street the first time because I didn't know where she had run off to. Once I get her back to the car, she hops over her car seat and hides on the other side of the car where I can't reach her. When we are driving, she throws things at me and takes her arms out of her seat belt straps. By the time I drop her off at the babysitters or her Grandparents, I am so exausted and relieved to be 'getting away' by going to work or school that I could jump for joy! Yet, I still love that little stinkerpot and since she is turning three this month, I expect to see perfect obedient behavior beggining to emerge. That happens, Right Mom?

5 comments:

ebow said...

Hardy har har! I got a kick out of reading that. The funniest part was where you might think her behavior is going to get better. It will in some ways, but she'll enter a new stage and be doing something else that will drive you crazy. Welcome to parenthood! Now, try having a Zoey (Anna) with a 1 1/2 year-old (Olivia)and being barely prego with another baby (Anthony). Somehow we all make it through. My boys 6 and 8 are still saying naughty words, kicking the pew in front of us, throwing notebooks over the pew (Daniel), getting water out of the bath all the time, band-aid wrappers everywhere, and climbing on the shelves of the fridge to get what is on top. Just add now the fact that there are two of them and they are BOYS. Try writing words/names on bunk beds, walls, and tables, hitting golf balls (not the whiffle kind they are supposed to be playing with) at neighbors cars and garage doors (on purpose--there's two of them so maybe they won't get in as much trouble--right?), throwing rocks and dirt clumps from the garden across the 6' fence trying to hit the neighbor's house and almost hitting their kids....I could go on and on. It's a great opportunity for us to learn patience, consistency and a reliance on the Lord through prayer. Oh yeah, Daniel did the seat belt thing too, got himself undone when I was driving and opened the door as I was making a turn. Somehow he didn't fall right out before I stopped in a parking lot and buckled him back in. He also did the running away thing--a lot. Read my entry from this time two years ago called "A Creature Named Daniel" and I think you will feel better. Daniel got hit by a car too. Wait until she starts actually breaking bones and needing stitches. Ahh, the joys of children!

KKPharmD said...

Connor, a nice 5 year old, favorite sayings to mommy and daddy:

I don't love you anymore, nope, you can just go back to work (for mommy)or go back to bed (for daddy)

I'm tired of this, I'm tired of you, how many times I tell you....

You just don't love me anymore...

Can I play Xbox (for the 100th time)

We also found out he is a door slammer, and has broken the mirror on our door, busted a whole the size of a door knob in greg's office, and loves to slam his door.

We have found out that there is a corner in the house that connor spends time in for being naughty. Works very well for his little tantrums...

Good luck Jen (hehehehe)

KK

DJ said...

OMG...did I laugh until tears were running down my face and what's really not funny is I'm going through that all over again with my GRANDKIDS...so if you guys think it gets better...HAH!!! You might think you're children may grow up and move away, but not likely and then, never, ever say..."I hope you have one that turns out just like you", because...YOU will be the one babysitting that little creature that you cursed your child with!!!Yet, all in all we love them and wouldn't trade them for anything. Just know that it's all normal and if someone tells you there child doesn't do any of those things....they're LYING. LOL Seriously Jen, you're a great storyteller and you need to write a column or something. Give Zoey and huge hug and just be glad she has arms to throw things, and legs to run and hide, and a cute little mouth, even though naughty things come out of it...that's what I had to keep telling myself. Keep up the good work, and Michelle, when you read this blog, you've got about two years, he he he. Love Debbie

Ashley said...

OH YEAH!!!!! my 15 months old asks me, "Where's dad?" all the time. How pitiful is that?

I tell her 100 times a day that I love her and I never get a response. On Saturday Grandma says and and you know what, she said it right back. THEN, uncle David on Monday tells her, "I love you," and she said it to HIM. So the whole car ride home I say, "I love you Regen," over and over and over. When we were almost home you know what she said to me, "NO!" Can you believe that. She wont give me hugs or kisses but everyone else gets them. Little punk.

I like Zoeys words, I am going to start using them at work. When my boss tells me to do something I am going to say, "what the heck in the world and shut your mouthhole!!!" Those are my favorite.

Michelle Lee said...

I love everyones comments on your terrible two year old. Zoey sounds like lots of fun. You have to watch her all the time, like a hawk. I would make her stay with me and do everything that I did so she wouldn't have a chance to get in trouble. It's a good theory but I know it isn't reasonable. My girls, twins, two babies will someday be right where you are and they will have me running in circles and pulling my hair out. I can wait!!! Right now they are just learning how to crawl. I have to clean the floor several times a day to make sure there are no small toys for them to eat. Tiffy's kids leave everything all over the house so I can't trust the babies down on the floor without checking every inch of it for chocking hazards. Then, the boys and Nan are constantly picking up the babies and kissing them on the mouth. Yuck!! Germs!! I don't want the girls to get sick again. But, I don't want to hurt the kids feelings either. They all give me hugs each day and say that I'm nice. Barry is mean to them sometimes and so is their mommy and Adam. That is the kids own words. Grandma is nice and Grandpa is mean too. I spoil her kids by taking them to dance class and then treating them to Dairy Queen for blizzards once a week. They love it. And so do I. Hang in there Jenn.